Being stalked is not only unsettling for the person experiencing it but may also be dangerous. Some 19.3 million women and 5.1 million men have experienced stalking in their lifetime with 60.8% of women & 43.5% of men having reported their stalker is a current or former intimate partner. In understanding stalking, you may recognize the warning signs and be able to talk proactive steps to protect yourself.
What is stalking?
In the state of Indiana, stalking is legally defined as knowing or intentional course of conduct consisting of two or more incidents that involves repeated or continuing harassment of another person that would cause him or her to suffer emotional distress and actually causes such distress.
Forms of stalking may include:
– Threats made against yourself, friends, and/or family
– Unwanted and non-consensual communication via phone calls, emails, text messages, etc.
– Repeated closeness (physically or visually) like following from a distance, showing up at certain locations, or watching an individual from a distance
If you are experiencing stalking
If you are experiencing stalking, Albion’s team of dedicated and trained Advocates are here to help you understand your personal and legal options. To speak with a member of our team today, call 812.422.9372. The following tips may also be considered to increase your safety and effectively report your victimization.
– Keep all evidence you may receive from your stalker. This includes communications, packages, etc.
– If contacted by your stalker, make it clear the communication is unwanted and do not respond to future communications.
– Inform your family, friends, and possibly coworkers of the situation.
– Keep a log of stalking related incidents.
– Establish a code word for children, if you may have them, to indicate that they need to leave the house or call 911.
How can Albion help?
Albion is committed to working with individuals of sexual & domestic violence, human trafficking, and stalking. If you are in need of legal advocacy, assistance, or wish to speak to a trained advocate, please call 812.422.9372 today.
Empower and support victims of stalking by support free and confidential services. Donate to Albion today.